Sunday, June 24, 2012

1 step forward...3 HUGE steps back!

When I first started this blog 8 weeks ago, I was 4 weeks into a 12 week training for a 5km. If you can do the math...that means that this should have been the weekend that I completed my goal....but its not, and I am OK with that (sort of). Let me explain...

In many ways I am OK with not completing my goal, because the reason was out of my control. I have asthma and the past 4 weeks have been awful for me! 4 weeks ago, even though I wasn't feeling well, I went out and trained and 5 hours later I was in the ER getting a Ventolin mask because I was so wheezy. Me, being me, I took 1 day off of training and went right back to it (Marc and Chris insisted that I slow down a bit) and 10 days after that I was back in the ER, this time what what doctors thought was pneumonia. Another Ventolin mask, a steroid shot and 5 days of antibiotics and steroids later and I still wasn't feeling 100%. Again, me being me, I took 1 day off work and 2 days off working out and was right back at it. 10 days later and I think I can maybe handle a full workout this week.

I would not be OK with not completing my goal this weekend if the reason wasn't medical. In the past I have used my asthma as an excuse for not pushing myself. This goal came from me and I WILL make it! I am going to prove to myself once and for all that I can do it! That being said, I also do need to listen to my body and give it the rest it so desperately needed so that I can push it again.

I took this week off of running to give my body 1 more week to fully recover and Sunday I will be back at the track :) Truth be told, I have actually missed running the past 4 weeks. And that is something that I never thought I would say and the reason I know that I WILL complete this goal!


1 comment: