Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pet Pevees

Kinderchat has their third question for the summer 2012 blogging challenge ready!
Tell us about your pet peeves. Do it however you want: write a list of 50 things that drive you crazy, or an essay about just one thing, or story combining several things, or write a song, or some limericks, or an epic poem. A photo essay! A slideshow! Video journalism! Stand up comedy! The sky is the limit, just tell us what grinds your teeth as a teacher (or an administrator, or a program director, or in whatever capacity you are joining this challenge.) (Yeah, parentheses again. I think I need an intervention.) Be careful: your blog is public, and you never know who is reading. Be positive and professional, but tell the truth. You can do it.
This is a post that you could have a lot of fun writing, and one that could go on forever!!! I have decided to stick to 3…3 is a good number I think….here goes! 

1)     The word “funner”. I HATE this word!!! Adults who use it sound uneducated and kids who use it need their grammar fixed! As an early primary teacher, I have the joy of trying to explain to kids why certain words don’t follow the rules. Happy – happier, sad – sadder, fun – funner - wrong! Then this is the conversation that follows: 
Me – “Not funner, but more fun. That game is more fun.”
Kid – “Why?”
Me – “English is a funny language and this is one of those words that doesn’t follow the rules.”
Kid – “But it’s more words”
Me – “I know it’s more words, but that is how you say it properly.”

When I lived in San Diego I had the joy of working for a gymnastics club who’s slogan was “The Funner Gym”. I had numerous conversations with the owner about the grammar and that if he is running a business where children are your main clientele, he should use proper grammar. Needless to say we didn’t see eye to eye on that and once I landed a teaching job… I quit! 

2)     This is something that drove me up the wall this year in my class and I am sure lots of you can relate! Nothing gets my blood boiling in a classroom then asking a kid to stop doing something (this year it was clicking noises with their tongues) and then having the kid right next to them start!! AHHHH!!!! My favourite part of this is when you ask that kid why they think they can do it when I asked the person next to them to stop, I always get that same I don’t know look! 

3)     People thinking that just because I am short and I look young that I am not capable. Sure, I am 5’2 and I don’t look my age, but when it comes to doing my job, I am plenty capable! When people actually take the time to talk to me, they find out that I have been working with children as a gymnastics coach for almost 23 years and that I have been teaching in the classroom for 11. And if that isn’t enough for them…I can show them my video of me dead lifting 300pounds and clearing a 36” hurdle!!! 


1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you on getting annoyed when another kid starts doing something you just asked their neighbor to stop. So much for vicarious learning.

    ReplyDelete